Holiday Giving Instructions
THANKSGIVING & ADOPT-A-FAMILY PROGRAMS
Thanksgiving Basket Program
1. Fill out our “Sign-up” form where you will decide the number of baskets you would be able to make or if you would like to contribute to the program by providing a monetary donation or gift certificates to Shaw’s or Stop & Shop. (These grocery stores are easily accessible to our clients). We appreciate Thanksgiving Basket sign-ups by November 1st.
2. We will send you a confirmation that we received the form.
3. You make a basket (laundry baskets work well) with non-perishable goods for a family of 4. To best meet the increased need for Thanksgiving meal baskets, we encourage you to do multiple baskets if you are able to. Most items for a traditional Thanksgiving dinner can be purchased in nonperishable form, i.e. boxed stuffing, canned cranberry sauce, canned vegetables, instant mashed potatoes, (white or sweet potatoes, apples or food items that do not need refrigeration can be accepted in their “natural” state).
4. We are not able to accept turkeys, so a gift certificate to Stop & Shop or Shaw’s needs to go along with your basket. Please put the gift certificate in an envelope so that it is noticeable and does not get lost in the basket.
5. On Friday, November 17th drop off your basket to Child & Family’s Middletown Community Center (31 John Clarke Rd., Middletown, R.I.) between 8:00 AM and 6:00 PM
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
- Fill out our “Sign-up” form where you will decide the number of children you would like to provide gifts for or if you would like to contribute to the program by providing generic gifts, gift certificates or a monetary donation.
- We will send you a confirmation that we received the form.
If Adopting a Family:
- As soon as possible we will send you a specific family (and identifying information) with a “wish list” from the child (or children) for whom you will be shopping. The Wish list Form will have the family number, parent’s first name, staff worker’s name, and children’s names.
- When shopping for and deciding how many children you can sponsor, many people ask what to spend per child. We have found that $100-$150 is an average, but please use your own guidelines.
- Wrap all gifts and firmly attach the child’s name to each gift. Bag or box all gifts for the family together and attach a copy of the Wish list Form to each bag or box. We ask that you identify the gifts you have given so that the parents are aware. Please include any receipts for clothing items that might need to be exchanged. If you are including any gift cards those should also be put in an envelope and attached to the Wish List Form.
- Drop off your gifts on Thursday, December 14th and Friday, December 15th between 8:00 AM and 6:00 PM
If Donating Generic Gifts:
- Drop off generic unwrapped gifts on Tuesday, December 12th and Wednesday, December 13th between 8:00 AM and 6:00 PM.
If Donating Gift Certificates:
- Please select versatile stores that are accessible to local families.
- Drop off gift certificates and gift cards to Child & Family on or before Wednesday, December 13th.
If Making a Monetary Donation:
- Mail or bring your gift to Child & Family with your name and address noting that it is for our Adopt-A-Family holiday program, prior to December 13th.
Have a great holiday!